JOB TITLE: Systems Administrator
REPORTS TO: Technical Services Manager
The System Administrator is responsible for the effective provisioning, installation / configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This post holder will ensure that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling all end users.
The Systems Administrator will assist in the Initiation and Planning phases of large scale projects. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support and management of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
The Systems Administrator is accountable for the following systems: Cisco Meraki Switches & Wi-Fi, Windows Server and Desktop Operating systems, VMWare, macOS, iOS and Linux systems and software that support learning and administration at the Trust.
- Manage, administer, monitor and develop critical IT services across all schools in the Trust, making use of industry standard ITIL processes. The post holder will maintain security and configure these services to perform at their optimal levels and according to best practices.
- Monitor and engage with contractors and contractual service providers, to ensure the service is to contract.
- Manage trainees. Responsibility for training, instruction, setting the work pace and evaluating work performance.
- Implementation of Systems related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as educational infrastructure applications or administration applications.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to appropriate media, recovery disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Support requests from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports learning and administration applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data centre environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Post-secondary qualification (eg HND) in a related discipline.
- Hold professional certification in a related discipline eg CCNA, Microsoft Certifications
- A degree in Computer science, IT or related discipline
- Substantial knowledge of client and network systems, including desktops, Network configuration, firewalls, DNS, VPN, Wireless Networking, IP Telephony and mobile devices.
- Knowledge of client configuration esp. Windows 7, configuration of access for endpoint devices in a local and wide area network.
- Knowledge of IT and Network security. Understand both defence and monitoring techniques with practical experience of application.
- Knowledge of Network design and configuration, including wireless and mobile services. Ability to design efficient networks and to work with others to deliver effective networks.
- Knowledge of modern techniques for the management of service resilience and disaster recovery configuration.
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure services such as servers, Microsoft Windows, Exchange/Office 365
- Knowledge of key IT management methodologies such as ITIL
- Knowledge and understanding of management of risk planning techniques to ensure optimal service efficiency
- Knowledge of current trends in the ICT industry
- Substantial experience of Microsoft infrastructure systems, including servers, desktops, Office and other Productivity tools.
- Experience of networking as main activity and using operational management techniques
- Ability to engage with end users in a positive way to manage issues and to enhance their experience of using the systems.
- Ability to plan and design coherent IT systems that deliver appropriate services.
- Ability to understand and exploit new technology to deliver benefit to the school
- Ability to work with third party support organisations to resolve issues
- Ability to convey / train / enthuse users of IT Services to use them effectively
- Ability to listen to users and gather effective feedback to ensure systems are delivering appropriate service
- All staff must follow the MKET Code of Conduct.
- Work hours will be flexible and will include some evening and weekend working to ensure appropriate service levels are maintained.
- £28,750 – £ 37,000 pa (starting salary is dependent upon skills, experience and qualifications)
- Milton Keynes
The successful post holder will support the delivery of networking and virtualization services across the Trust. You will need to understand system security and the methods, processes and policies that are essential in the delivery and maintenance of a secure service to a community of young people.
If you’re interested in this role please send me a copy of your cv and your availability to start work and to attend interviews.