Cross Stack Developer (front-end specialist)
Technology is an essential part of everything we do. Great technology makes great products. We believe in processes that empower our developers to take ownership of the technology that we deliver to our customers. We are completely focused on building excellence within our Technology community. We are looking for creative, innovative and passionate people to help build our products and drive our tech-led service.
We are looking for a highly skilled Cross Stack Developer (Front-End specialist) to be a part of our Technology Team. The role reports to the Head of Technology and will work closely with the wider Technology team as well as the Product team. The successful candidate will gain exposure to all areas of the business and opportunities for learning and development.
In order to execute this function, the role holder will have the following responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot technical issues and identify modifications needed in existing applications to meet changing user requirements.
- Participate in discussions/planning around system architecture.
- Participate as part of an Agile Scrum team.
- All developers are expected to become Cross stack to a degree.
- Be able to pivot in response to changing business requirements.
- Provide 1st/2nd line support for the production system.
- Ability to lead a project team.
- Document the creation and development of business projects and services.
- Research new technologies to help improve the infrastructure, efficiency and security of projects.
- Should have a minimum of 5 years of technology experience with at least 2 years hands-on Frontend technical roles in the field and relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Some experience in server side development in an OO language ideally C#.
- Custom web application development.
- Knowledgeable about accessibility or security compliance relevant in client’s sector and geographic location.
- Understands the underlying systems on which web applications are developed.
- Understands key web development concepts such as:
- Implementing or working with a template driven system or MVC framework with a clear separation between content and display.
- Working with multiple delivery platforms such as mobile versus desktop.
- Ensuring the quality of applications through unit testing.
- Knowledge of the consumer lending sector and understanding how this applies to this role, is desirable.
- Familiarity of HTML syntax for multiple specifications, including HTML 5.
- Knowledge of the semantic meaning of most HTML elements.
- Familiarity with the semantic mark-up for display of lists, tabular data, forms, articles, etc.
- Knowledge of mark-up used for layout such as dividers.
- Knowledge at the level to be able to hand-code mark-up – Including media and images.
- Specifying different CSS for various media, devices and displays.
- Knowledge of methodologies like SMACSS, OOCSS or BEM.
- Methods for including CSS inline, internal and external via linked style sheets.
- Syntax of CSS declarations, properties and attributes.
- CSS box model and methods for CSS positioning, absolute and relative.
- Knowledge of properties and attributes to control the display.
- Has an understanding of SASS.
- Confident programming in ECMAScript 6 with Babel or TypeScript.
- Strong experience using MV* frameworks such as AngularJS and VueJS.
- Experience working with the NodeJS platform for web applications and backend services.
- Experience with task automation tools such as Gulp, Grunt and/or Webpack.
- Experience following a test-driven(TDD) approach when writing software for cross-browser issues.
- Advanced listening, questioning and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment, in a high pressure on-call environment with changing priorities.
- Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Post-secondary degree in computer science or related field or a combination of related experience and education.
- A results oriented individual who thrives working in a fast paced environment.
- Strong desire to work in a fast moving, start up organisation.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good organisation skills with the ability to juggle priorities and meet deadline.
- Self-motivation and commitment to the mission and goals of company.
- Ability to work collaboratively to execute plans to completion.
- Good presentations skills.
- Excellent negotiations skills – specifically with third parties.
- Ability to work on projects which span a broad range of applications.
- Expertise in multiple technical environments and business knowledge that spans multiple business areas.